How 3% of Harvard Graduates Managed to Outperform The Other 97%

How 3% of Harvard Graduates Managed to Outperform The Other 97%

As the Chief Executive of your practice, you are in a position of Power.  I capitalize it because Power is a condition sought after by so many, and few know how to use it to grow beyond their wildest dreams. They only have a glimpse of how they could flourish and prosper, and that is, to them, an impossible dream. But it is not impossible. It is actually PROBABLE if they were to understand and to apply some of the principles that are set out in this blog.

What is POWER?  “A person who knows and fully understands his or her post or job can control that post. If there is control of the post, then there is the ability to hold that position in space—that location. That is power. When a person is uncertain, he or she cannot control that position. ” (L Ron Hubbard.) Merriam Webster defines power as:  possession of control, authority, or influence over others.

One can have power over his job as a janitor when he fully knows how to use all of his brooms, mops, cleaners, and what and how to do to fulfill the duty of being a janitor.  As he grows in certainty, his power and responsibility grows to that same degree, and then there is advancement to another position over which power can be made, and so on up the gradient ladder.

The same rule applies for the CEO of a billion dollar organization. How do you get to this position? Just know that there are things you do and things you do not do. Let’s take a look at what one should do.

As the boss of your company, you have total control over the employees, the environment and every phase of its operation.  You pay the bills, the salaries, and are the ultimate authority of your created practice. How do you maintain and grow this power?

Assuming that you already have your office up and running and know all of the essential elements of how to run an office, how do you put your practice and life into high gear and move up into the expansion you have always wanted? In other words, how do you hit power with ever escalating statistics, hitting a high range and leveling it off way up there?  And how do you keep it up there?

First, you must know where you are going. Sit down and write down your ideal scene. That is, what your life and practice would be like when it is perfect?  Even include in this what you would have, and what you would be doing. Get a vivid three dimensional picture in your mind of what it will be like. Now that you have this ideal scene in your mind, decide it is done and true without any doubt in your mind. Muhammad Ali and Arnold Schwarzenegger, and most highly successful athletes and business people constantly visualize the fulfillment of their goal in full animated, living color.

They never lose sight of that goal. Mr. Hubbard said : “The future is the creation of a future illusion and the working toward that illusion to make it a reality.” And make sure your illusion is big enough to accommodate your dreams, which are without limitation.

Now you have the first step in reaching the Power position in your life and business that you want.  Stay tuned for the next step in my next article on Power.  Follow this formula and you will win. That is a certainty.

Now your next step in making your dream a reality is to write down your goal. In 1979, a group of researchers supposedly decided to conduct a goal-setting study on the Harvard Business School graduating class to assess how written and planned-for goals effect later outcomes in life.  the graduating class was asked a single question about their goals in life. The question was this:

Have you set written goals and created a plan for their attainment? 

Prior to graduation, it was determined that:

  • 84% of the entire class had set no goals at all
  • 13% of the class had set written goals but had no concrete plans
  • 3% of the class had both written goals and concrete plans

The results?

Well, you’ve likely somewhat guessed it. 10 years later, the 13% of the class that had set written goals but had not created plans, were making twice as much money as the 84% of the class that had set no goals at all.

However, the apparent kicker is that the 3% of the class that had both written goals and a plan, were making ten times as much as the rest of the 97% of the class. Wanderlust Worker.

That tells you how powerful is the written word and how deeply it affects action and success. It reflects the intention to actually achieve what one wants. Intention in any activity is the fuel for the engine, and without it, it always dies for lack of energy and drive. Intention is the subjective reality of anyone in making his or her way through the tangle of everyday living and moving forward into the future. Without it, there is no driving fire in the belly to move through the inevitable barriers that have to be confronted and overcome to get to that goal.

Do it the right way.  Be highly specific.  The reason why goal setting works when it’s done on paper and in the right way is because what the mind sees it believes.  Regardless of how huge an invention or creation seems today, once it was just a thought. They were all dreams. Buck Rogers is a fictional space opera character in the novella Armageddon 2419 A. published in the August 1928 issue of the pulp magazine, Amazing Stories. Buck used technology that was just fantasy in those days that is old hat today. It started with an idea that became reality. Da Vinci had an idea of flight, and tried to build a flying machine with the materials he had, one was a helicopter whose principles are part of today’s real ‘choppers.”

Describe what your office will look like in words, describe your ideal scene in highly detailed and descriptive prose.  Let your mind then go to work making it happen. Doing this will give you a clear road map, and all you have to do is follow the dots of your plan to get there.

Then write your goal, the reasons you want that goal, and make them very strong reasons why you want it. If you have a strong enough reason to achieve a goal, you will follow through. If you don’t, you will quit. Think about really wanting something in the past and how you went about getting it.  If you didn’t get it, it was because you didn’t have a strong enough reason and thus lacking the energy and follow through to get it.

Then itemize the things you will do and will not do in going for it (rules of the road).  Then a major battle plan followed by the major steps and the minor steps within the major steps.  If you want to make a certain amount of money, put that number down on paper.   Describe what your office will look like in words, describe your ideal scene in highly detailed and descriptive prose.  Let your mind then go to work making it happen. Doing this will give you a clear road map, and all you have to do is follow the dots of your plan to get there. Believe me, with the written road map, the ideal scene of your destination and how it will be in detail when you arrive, fueled by fire in your belly to make it happen, you will be like “get out of my way, I am coming…”  Or like one of my favorite songs “If you don’t like me walking on  you, well get up off the floor.”

There is a technology in precisely how to do this that can be learned in CBA’s courses that can show the steps to take to make drive you to power and achievement of your dreams.

Uncategorized